Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Best of my 2008 (and earlier) Corporate & Editorial photos - continued

Editorial Environmental Portrait for Boating Magazine by Atlanta Photographer Nicholas McIntosh

OK, this image was shot for Boating Magazine for a story on dirty jobs in the boating industry. This man does the "gut-runs" at the big fishing tournaments in Ocean City MD. In otherwords, he takes a barge full of fish pieces from the piers to a place it can be dumped. The tournaments happen in August, the magazine was scheduled to run in June, and I was hired in Feb. As you can imagine, there were no guts to be had, in fact the gut barge was dry-docked for repairs at a garage just off the parking lot. Fortunately I was able to get low enough that you couldn't tell we were not on the water. All that was needed was a little retouching to remove some fence and part of a pickup truck. The boats you see in the background are actually dry-docked boats in the parking lot!

Digital Composite Photo Illustration by Atlanta Photographer Nicholas McIntosh

This one was done for a Halloween photo exhibit for the local chapter of ASMP. The theme was "trick or treat". I had seen the house around my neighborhood, and always wanted to shoot it. The owners have so much stuff all over the place it's insane. My picture doesn't do it justice. But it reminded me of the gingerbread house from "Hansel & Gretel", and this was the perfect opportunity. So I went out and bought a sweat suit and an old-lady wig, and recruited my Mother-in-law as a model. She refuses to look at this picture by the way. I shot her in the studio on a blue-screen, shot the apple seperately, and combined all 5 images together in photoshop to create the final image. It was recieved so well, it was used as the only image for the invitations and web promotions.

Editorial Environmental Portrait for WatchTime Magazine by Atlanta Photographer Nicholas McIntosh

No real interesting story here, I just like the image a lot. It was shot for WatchTime Magazine. It is Robert Parker, the US's leading wine critic. My task was to create an interesting portrait at Mr. Parker's home that incorporated wine and watches. I saw the map of France and knew I wanted to incorporate that into the background, but the test images of my assistant were just too plain. Then I found some wine bottles, set them up on his kitchen counter, placed a light behind them, and shot through them to Mr. Parker. The resulting image of Mr. Parker is in the shape of a wine glass with the negative space of the bottles. Serendipity baby, serendipity!

No comments:

Post a Comment